After the Big Bang, matter and antimatter were produced in equal quantities; however only matter now remains in the Universe. A new concept based on the use of a 5 MW beam from a proton linear accelerator has been proposed for the experimental detection of an asymmetry between neutrinos and antineutrinos, implying leptonic Charge-Parity (CP) Violation, with the aim to elucidate this major cosmological problem.
The two major goals of EuroNuNet are to aggregate the community of neutrino physics in Europe to study this concept in a spirit of inclusiveness and to impact the priority list of High Energy Physics policy makers and of funding agencies to this new approach to the experimental discovery of leptonic CP violation.This COST Action is to study the possibility of producing a uniquely intense neutrino beam from a 5 MW proton beam generated with a linear, as opposed to circular, accelerator and to direct this neutrino beam to a Megaton size underground water Cherenkov neutrino detector.
The outstanding potential of this infrastructure stems from the uniquely high power of the linear accelerator that allows positioning the detector at the second neutrino oscillation maximum, located at some 500 km from the accelerator and neutrino target, where the sensitivity to the CP violation signal is about three times higher as compared to at the first oscillation maximum, where other experiments are planning to measure.
The study of this facility will build upon the further exploitation of the experience gained in the EU FP7 Design-Studies EUROnu and LAGUNA-LBNO.
Next 3 months’ events
- 6th Executive Committee Meeting on 28/05/2019 15:30
- ESSnuSB. D2.2 H- source design, integration into ESS and RF upgrade studies (M14) on 31/05/2019 08:00
- EuroNuNet & ESSnuSB Invisibles’19 School on 03/06/2019
- ESSnuSB – Common WP2 & WP3 meeting, Lund, Sweden on 11/06/2019
- ESSnuSB – 5th WP5 meeting on 14/06/2019 10:00
- ESSnuSB. MS5. Design of the hadron collection device (M18) on 30/06/2019 08:00
- ESSnuSB. MS6. Accumulator lattice design (M18) on 30/06/2019 09:00
- ESSnuSB – 3rd Software Workshop, Pag, Croatia on 10/07/2019